subject: ality television star Evelyn Lozada, is serious when it comes to re-establishing himsPosted: 3:16am, Apr 12, 2014
342 posts
Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry Fraser wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca! Kerry, On Marian Gaboriks goal with less than a minute left, shouldnt goaltender interference have been called? What parameters were met/not met for that goal to be allowed? Tom Handy,Toronto ----- Hey Kerry, can you give me your take on the goalie interference on Braden Holtby late in Game 6? Thanks. Craig Boden Tom and Craig: We have moved from the absurdity of not allowing a goal to stand if a player had his toe on the crease line to the more difficult task for referee to determine the degree and nature of contact with the goalkeeper (video link) (incidental or deliberate) and if the contact was as a result of or initiated by the defending player. The premise of rule 69 - interference on the goalkeeper is stated as, "The overriding rationale of this rule is that the goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within his goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player." This appears to very clear until you factor in, "If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact." The reason that this goal was allowed to stand and the same reason that I would have allowed it under the existing rule is contained in the following language of rule 69.2 - "In exercising his judgment, the Referee should give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact." What this rule is not so clearly telling us is that while the goalie should have the ability to move freely within his crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player, contact with the goalkeeper is allowed depending upon the degree and nature of it. As I watched this play, Caps defenceman John Carlson engaged and fronted Rangers forward Carl Hagelin. Both players continued to back towards the crease as Carlson locked his arm on Hagelins stick in an effort to contain and maintain close contact with Hagelin. Both Carlson and Hagelin were focused on the puck in front of them as they continue to establish their respective positions in backward motion. Braden Holtby assumed his desired butterfly position more outside of his goal crease than inside of it to play the impending shot. (A portion of his right pad and leg remained just inside the top of the goal crease.) Given the degree of contact (minor) and the nature of the contact with Carlson locked on Hagelin as both players continue to back toward the crease I would have allowed this goal to stand. It is also worth noting that once Hagelin felt contact with Holtbys stick from behind he immediately turned his body to avoid continued contact. This falls in line with "provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact." I concur with the referees call on this bang-bang play for all the above reasons. This was nothing like the illegal contact by Mike Knuble on Tim Thomas on the winning goal in overtime of Game 7 in the Caps-Bruins series. Dont hold your breath on my next thought. Until the rule becomes black and white or changed to clearly state that a goal will be disallowed through any form of contact with the goalkeeper by an attacking player the referee will be called upon to exercise his judgment as to the degree and nature of contact that can be allowed. I concur with Referee Wes McCauleys judgment on this play as to the degree and nature of the contact. For a personally autographed copy of Final Call from TSN hockey analyst and former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, visit The Book Keeper website. For a regular copy of Final Call from TSN hockey analyst and former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, visit here. nba holdjersey . -- Canadas Graham DeLaet is quietly becoming the Cinderella of these FedEx Cup playoffs. cheap jerseys . On Sunday, it happened to one of IndyCars biggest and most popular stars. Two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon died after his car became ensnared in a fiery 15-car pileup, flew over another vehicle and hit the catch fence just outside turn 2 in a season-ending race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. http://www.holdjersey.com/ . Earlier this week, those very same fans were openly hostile towards Ferguson as they questioned his motives behind recent public support of the Glazer family. Its no coincidence that Fergusons support for the owners comes at a time that the club will shortly be listing on the New York Stock Exchange where approximately 10 percent of the clubs shares will be made available. holdjersey . -- The New England Patriots dont know yet who theyll face in their playoff opener. wholesale jerseys . An article in The Georgia Straight alleges that John Furlong physically and mentally abused native children while teaching Phys. DAVIE, Fla. -- Chad Johnson understands many were writing him off after his forgettable 2011 season with the New England Patriots. He even acknowledged questioning himself. But less than a week into training camp with the Miami Dolphins, Johnson said he has no doubt he can recapture the form that made him a six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver with the Cincinnati Bengals. "Why? Because Im good," Johnson said Wednesday. "Im really good. The odds have been stacked against me since 1978. I had a bad year. Finally. I handled my business for a decade straight. I hit an obstacle. I didnt complain. I didnt become a distraction. I took a bullet, worked this off-season, Im here, still working. Im not complaining. Ill be back to normal. I dont have a choice." Johnson, signed by the Dolphins in June four days after he was released by New England, spoke to reporters for the first time since the start of training camp. But Johnson, with painted black fingernails minus the gold shoes he had worn at practice, made it worth the wait. "Ive always been humble, but when its time to play the game and I cross the line, Ive got to be me," Johnson said. "Thats what made me, me. Im not a bad guy at all. I have fun. I give you guys things to write about and Ill do the same this year also. Ive got to make up a years worth of work, so you guys are going to be working double time." Its an entirely different atmosphere for Johnson this summer, who has been allowed to be his outlandish self. That wasnt the case last year in New England. "It feels good to be able to breathe again," Johnson said. "Without getting into it, you should know what I mean. It feels good to be able to breathe. What youre seeing now, what youre hearing as far as how Im doing in camp, thats the way it used to be for 10 years straight. Thats me. Thats always been me, keeping everybody loose, including in the locker room, outside, bringing a different type of energy. But when its time to play, I always show up and I play." After averaging 76 catches the previous nine years, Johnson caught only 15 passes in 15 games in 2011 after the Patriots acquired him in a trade with Cincinnati for a pair of draft picks. Johnson, though, said he didnt regret his one season in New England. He said he learned a lot, including discipline, and how to shut up for an entire year. "I never thought I could do it, but I did it," Johnson saiid.dddddddddddd "I didnt do one interview that entire season. Even though I wasnt able to produce, wasnt able to play like I wanted to, I learned a lot of things there. Its made me a better player." Needing help at wide receiver after trading talented yet controversial Brandon Marshall to Chicago in the off-season, the Dolphins signed Johnson after giving him a workout. First-year coach Joe Philbin said no promises were made to Johnson, only that hed be given the opportunity to compete. Philbin said Johnson has caught the ball well in training camp so far and also has impressed with his work ethic. "This guy likes football a lot," Philbin said. "He comes up to our meetings sometimes and just wants to hang around. Hes a little bit of a gym rat in that regard, which is good. You like players that like the game and he wants to know. Hes not afraid of being coached." Even though his 766 career receptions are 276 more than the other 11 wide receivers on the Miami roster combined, Johnson isnt taking anything for granted. He said he is approaching camp with the mindset he has to earn a spot and prove himself after last year. "That was horrible," Johnson said. "I mean, 15 catches? Come on. "Im working. Im working like a rookie again. Im flying around. Im running around like a young dude, just having fun, being detailed, being consistent and working on my one weakness, which has always been blocking. Its no secret. Getting open, never been a problem." Johnson has never been shy about talking to his quarterbacks, and that clearly hasnt changed. "The other night we were walking out, we had the (next) day off and I said, Chad, what are you going to do on your break? " Matt Moore recalled. "He said, I dont know, but Ill probably be open. "I love it. Thats the kind of guy he is. He keeps everything light. Hes been a pleasure to work with so far." Johnson, who recently changed his name back from Ochocinco after his Fourth of July wedding to reality television star Evelyn Lozada, is serious when it comes to re-establishing himself as an elite wide receiver. Especially now that hes playing in his hometown. "Being here is awesome," Johnson said. "Im home. Its good to be home and I dont have a choice but succeed. There are a lot of eyes watching in general, but being here, Ive got to, bro. Really. Cant fail. Not home." ' ' '

emailpm
There are 1 posts in this topic.
Currently Reading: