subject: faced goes away now, saying Riley -- his boss for nPosted: 1:43am, Jan 21, 2014
32 posts
UEFA has responded to widespread outrage against the racism sanctions imposed on Serbia for the abuse directed at England players during an under-21s match in October by deciding to appeal against its own disciplinary panels verdict. Serbian fans directed monkey chants at black England players throughout an ill-tempered match in Krusevac that ended in an on-pitch brawl between players and coaches from both teams. The British government led the condemnation against the perceived leniency of the (euro)80,000 ($105,000) fine imposed on the Football Association of Serbia. Several Serbian coaches and players were also suspended and the team was ordered to play one under-21s match in an empty stadium. Despite claiming they were provoked, two England players also received bans that will take effect at the under-21 European Championship in June. While UEFA announced Wednesday it will appeal against all the sanctions imposed on Serbia and England by its independent control and disciplinary body, the governing body highlighted the racist abuse by fans. "Having reviewed the motivated decisions for the sanctions imposed ... the UEFA disciplinary inspector felt it necessary to immediately confirm his intention to appeal on UEFAs behalf," European footballs governing body said in a statement. UEFA was lobbied by the English Football Association and groups, including Football Against Racism in Europe. "UEFA now have an opportunity to send out a message," FARE executive director Piara Powar said. "It takes a lot of honesty and self-reflection to admit that one arm of the organization got it wrong ... what happened warranted a harder sanction." Serbias punishment drew unfavourable comparisons with the (euro)100,000 fine given to Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner for wearing sponsored underpants at Euro 2012 in June. UEFA President Michel Platini had indicated he was likely to seek tougher sanctions against Serbia, having previously urged its government to enact stricter laws and to do more to tackle violence and discrimination by its fans. UEFAs panel imposed international bans on four Serbia players of between two and four years, while two coaches were banned from football for two years. Parts of their punishments were suspended. England won the match 1-0 to advance to the under-21 European Championship in Israel. The English FA previously said it would appeal suspensions for defender Steven Caulker (two matches) and midfielder Thomas Ince (one match). England coach Stuart Pearce said Caulker and Ince were not aggressive and were only protecting themselves. UEFAs appeal could result in those sanctions being reduced or overturned. The post-match brawl began after England defender Danny Rose complained about being subjected to monkey chants every time he touched the ball. He was sent off after the final whistle for after kicking a ball into the stands, gesturing to the crowd as he walked off the pitch. The appeals will not be heard until after the Jan. 8 deadline for all sides to challenge the ruling. Serbia FA general secretary Zoran Lakovic previously acknowledged that the Balkan country is on its "last warning" from UEFA and would not appeal. Paris Lenon Super Bowl Jersey . -- Robert Griffin III looks good to go. Manny Ramirez Super Bowl Jersey . He held his composure and the Brewers hung on, too. Aramis Ramirez drove in two runs in his return to Wrigley Field, Ryan Braun got booed relentlessly and Milwaukee walked off with a 7-5 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Monday night. http://www.broncosnikejerseysshop.com/womens-dan-koppen-super-bowl-jersey/ . In their first trip back to the city since the historic Game 5 of the 2008 World Series that was played over two separate days, the Rays were forced to sit through a 2-hour, 48-minute rain delay before Fridays scheduled game against the Philadelphia Phillies was postponed. Chris Harris Super Bowl Jersey . Gordon underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last season. He missed the entire preseason due to the injury. "Hes going to be out," Williams said. Matt Prater Super Bowl Jersey . Harper thought it was one of two things: "I was thinking I was going down because Rizzo and everybody was over there or the All-Star game," he said. MIAMI -- Heat coach Erik Spoelstra looked relaxed Thursday, as if he took the summer off. Quite the contrary. Not long after Miami won last seasons NBA championship, Spoelstra started plotting the best way for the Heat to win another. So he sought input from other coaches, like Floridas Billy Donovan, who won back-to-back NCAA titles; Cincinnati football coach and close friend Butch Jones; Oregon womens coach Paul Westhead, an offensive guru; and Vance Walberg, who developed the dribble drive motion offence. A few he communicated with indirectly, like Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells. Oh, and he works for Pat Riley, who knows a bit about title defences. Spoelstras summer mission was simple: Keep learning. And whatever he gleaned over those months starts going on display Saturday when the Heat open training camp, the formal start to a year where they will be widely expected to contend for another title. "I heard Bill Gates say it once. He said, Success is a horrible teacher," Spoelstra said Thursday, sitting not far from his office near the practice court. "My interpretation is that sometimes you forget the process and everything it took and the failures to get to that point. Its not the event. I think its easier for a coach. You live in a constant state of uneasiness." Case in point: About a week ago, his back started hurting. So he sought out the team trainer, Jay Sabol, for assistance. Sabol asked what Spoelstra did wrong, and the coach had no answer. His workout regimen hadnt changed much, and he hadnt slipped or fallen or anything that might have caused an injury. Then it hit him. The stress of a new season might be manifesting itself already. "This is how I felt last year in training camp, this is how I felt during the playoffs last year," Spoelstra said. "Your body kind of tells you when training camp is right around the corner." Spoelstra spoke with reporters for more than 30 minutes on Thursday, and when the subject was related to motivation, he cited the Heat loss to Dallas in 2011 NBA Finals more than he talked about how his team beat Oklahoma City for last seasons title. Theres no denying that Spoelstra will insist that the Heat keep their edge, even after how their last official act together was celebrating a championship. "Its not easy," Spoelstra said. "Its not. People talk about it. Its harder to repeat. Its hard to win a title in any professional sport. Theres so many variables. You have to have your health first, you have to have ttalent, you have to have everybody on the same page and you have to be peaking at the right time.dddddddddddd. And you certainly have to develop enough resolve and resiliency to weather the storms and the tough times." While this would hardly qualify as a true "storm" like Spoelstra referred to, the Heat arent perfect in the health department to open camp. Neither Dwyane Wade (knee surgery) nor Mike Miller (back rehabilitation) is 100 per cent, meaning theyll be at least mildly limited. Free agent signee Ray Allen, formerly of the rival Boston Celtics, isnt totally recovered from ankle surgery, though Spoelstra said someone "wouldnt know it" if they saw him play. Chris Bosh said the abdominal injury suffered in the playoff run is "behind him." Roster hopeful Jarvis Varnado has a hamstring problem, though could be full-go by next week. In all, 12 of the 15 players on the roster at the end of last season will be in camp on Saturday. The three exceptions -- Ronny Turiaf signed with the Clippers, while Eddy Curry and Juwan Howard were not re-signed, though Spoelstra said Thursday that the team might be open to revisiting with Howard down the road. The Heat completed their 20-man training camp roster Thursday, signing Robert Dozier and Rodney Carney. Much like Donovan, Jones, Westhead, Walberg and the rest, another coach who made an impact on Spoelstra over the summer was former NFL coach Tony Dungy, who he got to know while watching a football practice at Oregon more than a year ago. Dungy was a keynote speaker at Donovans coaching clinic, and talked about how he respected both Spoelstras journey and how the Heat do business. There are parallels -- until Dungy won a title, he faced plenty of scrutiny and heard tons of whispers that he wasnt good enough to win a championship. And Spoelstra heard much of the same, until last June. "For him to say that in front of a group of my peers in coaching, its pretty cool," Spoelstra said. He laughed off the notion that all the scrutiny hes faced goes away now, saying Riley -- his boss for nearly two decades -- has prepped him well. "You think its going to change? I doubt it," Spoelstra said. "Id probably be uncomfortable if my world changed. Ive gotten so used to it now, its easy to find motivation in my world. And as a head coach, it doesnt change. Come on. Ive worked for 17 years for the guy who has taught me about paranoia of trap doors." ' ' '

emailpm
There are 1 posts in this topic.
Currently Reading: