subject: Bengals mix and match on defensePosted: 1:49am, Sep 20, 2017
41 posts

Bengals mix and match on defense

One of the many reasons the Bengals love red-shirt rookie cornerback William Jackson and believe he’ll be an elite

cover man is that for a first-rounder he doesn’t mind playing with a chip on his shoulder. In fact, he has yet to take

a snap and it sounds like he already has one when he makes it Sunday (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) against the

Ravens.

Told this week he had a good training camp after missing almost all of that and everything else as a rookie last year

with a torn pectoral muscle, Jackson shrugged.

“We all know rookies don’t start here,Authentic Budda Baker Jersey,” Jackson said. “I just have to face reality. They’ll work me in. It’s

enough of a blessing to get in there and compete,Authentic Chad Williams Jersey, though.”

Not so fast. OK,womens Dorian Johnson Jersey, head coach Marvin Lewis started at least one rookie in 12 straight openers in a streak that ended in

just maybe,womens T. J. Logan Jersey,2014 with center Russell Bodine. He hasn’t started one in the last two. And maybe, fourth-year cornerback

another first-rounder derailed by injury,womens Duke Riley Jersey, is going to get his first NFL Opening Day start. Plus,Darqueze Dennard,womens Sean Harlow Jersey, Jackson technically isn’t a rookie.womens Takkarist McKinley Jersey,

But defensive coordinator Paul Gunther is guaranteeing that whoever is active of his 23 players (and that could be

everybody but injured starting safety Shawn Williams and newest Bengal Ringo), they’re going to play.

Just look at what Lewis did in the pre-season games. With cornerback Adam Jones suspended, Dennard slid into the slot

with Jackson playing outside when teams went multiple receivers early in games. The Ravens might not be so inclined to

go multiple with Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco easing into it with his back issues, but Jackson figures to play plenty

in Guenther’s vision of versatility.

and it’s really important for the first couple of games,‘We could do a lot of different combinations, because

” Guenther said. “I anticipate using every guy that’s dressed on defense,they’re not used to playing as many snaps,

really.”

Some of that is necessity. Starting safety George Iloka (knee) didn’t play in any pre-season games and although he’s

been back to practice for about three weeks and says he has the fresh legs of a rookiewomens Budda Baker Jersey,he’s still getting into game shape.'

But mostly Guenther plans to play multiple guys because he can. The Bengals defense looks a lot different this year

because you don’t know where to look. womens Chad Williams Jersey, Guenther is vowing to use different packages on virtually every snap to match the

Ravens’ offense to the fullest.

“Last year we had a lot of the same type of guys,Authentic Dorian Johnson Jersey,” Guenther said. “What I always like to do is,Authentic T. J. Logan Jersey, ‘This guy can do

this good or this guy can do that good, and that way it allows you when you see a mismatch here I can,Authentic Duke Riley Jersey, ‘All right let

’s put him on that guy.’”Authentic Takkarist McKinley Jersey,’

He already had some versatility in the back end with Dennard playing corner and slot and Josh Shaw playing both corner

spots along with safety.Authentic Sean Harlow Jersey,

But when they drafted third-rounder Jordan Willis,Authentic C.J. Mosley Jersey, they also got a left end and a right end. Fourth-rounder Carl Lawson

gives them a rush end as well as a linebacker. Plus, sixth-rounder Jordan Evans is so fast Guenther can put him in

against the run or the pass at linebacker. And that in turn frees up starting linebacker Vincent Rey to play more on

special teams and …

You get the idea. Anybody could be anywhere. One move can lead to another one. The emergence of Lawson and Willis on the

edge have allowed Guenther to move veteran ends Michael Johnson and Chris Smith into tackle on passing downs and it

appears that both of their careers have been revived.

“Maybe a guy plays in nickel,womens C.J. Mosley Jersey, we mix and match them that way, maybe he plays in base, much like we’re going to do the

corners and safeties,” Guenther said.

He confirms he plans to play the very intriguing Evans in base (run situations) as he tries to ease the absence of the

suspended Vontaze Burfict at WILL with both Rey and Evans.

“It’s not too big for him. He’s got good coverage skills,” Guenther said of Evans. “I don’t know why he wasn’t

invited to the combine, because to me when you watch him at Oklahoma his coverage skills were as good as anybody that’s

why we liked him.
emailpm
There are 1 posts in this topic.
Currently Reading: