subject: A Lesson on Tackling from Falcons' Dan QuinnPosted: 9:43pm, Sep 7, 2017
104 posts
A Lesson on Tackling from Falcons' Dan Quinn

hunched over the elevated desk in his office—he never sits because he doesn’t have a chair—alternating his gaze from his computer to the large television monitor at the front of the room.,Dan Quinn stands

“Give me a second,adidas Johnny Gaudreau jersey, Quinn has invited members of The MMQB’s NFL training camp tour bus to join him for a 30-minute coaching tutorial. He’s putting the finishing touches on his presentation.,adidas Sean Monahan jersey,” he says as his guests enter. For the second consecutive training camp

To the right of the TV screen.Authentic Justin Faulk jersey, there’s a framed quote from pastor and author Charles Swindoll that includes the following: “I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes.” To the left hangs “The Tale of Two Wolves,Authentic Jeff Skinner jersey,who tells his grandson that inside each person rages a battle between a good wolf and a bad wolf. “Which wolf wins?” asks the grandson. The grandfather replies: “The one you feed.”Authentic Duncan Keith jersey,” a parable of a Cherokee grandfather

It’s the next-to-last day of Falcons camp, plus a tee that features the words “I am the sword” encircling two axes.,Authentic Jonathan Toews jersey, and Quinn is still wearing his practice attire: long pants and a long-sleeve shirt (despite 100-degree temps)

This is a football coach, and there’s no mistaking either., in a football coach’s office

After a moment, then resumes his position behind his desk., Quinn stands up to shake hands with his guests

” he says. “Let’s talk tackling.”,“You guys ready? Alrightadidas Justin Faulk jersey,
When The MMQB bus stopped in Flowery Branch in 2016, Quinn fired up tape on Keanu Neal and explained how, the then-rookie safety would help elevate the Falcons’ defense., and why

This year, the lesson dives deeper into the basics,Authentic Johnny Gaudreau jersey, and that comes as no surprise. Quinn’s coaching career began as a D-line coach back in 1994—for context as an assistant or coordinator, a year before 2017 Falcons first-rounder Takk McKinley was born—and he remained on the that side of the ball,,adidas Jeff Skinner jersey>, until taking the Atlanta head coaching job in ’15.

That’s also where the Falcons must show improvement to stay atop the NFC. Its offense (save the painful second half of Super Bowl LI) lit up the NFL last season,adidas Duncan Keith jersey,, but Atlanta allowed 30-plus points in seven games, both 2016 draft picks., including the 34–28 OT loss to the Patriots. Authentic Sean Monahan jerseyThe numbers likely would have been even uglier had it not been for the rapid development of Neal and LB Deion Jones

So, Quinn has continued to hammer home his message., all through the offseason program,adidas Jordan Staal jersey,

“We talk tackling not every day,” the third-year head coach says., but damn near

Quinn calls the Falcons a “leverage-tackling team. If the ball carrier is on [a defender’s] left side,Authentic Jordan Staal jersey, tackle with the right shoulder.”, tackle with the left shoulder; if he’s on the right side
right? It’s not.,Sounds simple enough

“[It takes] about half a year” to learn,adidas Jonathan Toews jersey, while pulling up a play where Neal flew downhill and tackled a player on his left with his right shoulder., Quinn says
emailpm
There are 1 posts in this topic.
Currently Reading: